Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Budget cuts ahead, SDSEO wants to be last on the chopping block

The governor made his State of the State address today and some lawmakers have suggested that state employees may not recieve a wage increase this year. And just like I would expect a union to do, the SDSEO cried foul; suggesting that state employees should not face life without a raise. I have a problem with this due to the fact that Governor Rounds also suggested that there should be cuts in several other sectors of the government.

First and foremost on my list, law enforcement. If there is going to be cuts in the State of South Dakota I would hope that all of us (including state employees) would agree that belt tightening should come in the form of salaries and not public safety. If the legislators can dig up more money I hope they will use it to (as I think Andy Garcia would say it) protect the citizenry and property of the people of the State of South Dakota.

State employees fill an important role in our world, and I only wish them the best, the economy in Pierre depends on their income. But I think they (at least the stand up state employees that I know) would be willing to make a sacrafice this year for the greater good.

Rusty

No comments: