Thursday, May 29, 2008

A return from the desert!

First I would like to apologize to the five loyal readers of the Gribble Report for my lengthy hiatus. Ever since John McCain became the Republican nominee I have been in a general malaise regarding my feelings about the future of the party. I felt bamboozled, as I do more so everyday when he makes a speech about greenhouse gasses and how he wants to reach out to the other side of the aisle. It sickens me.

But as we have approached the South Dakota Primary on June 3rd, the juices have begun to flow. I am getting excited about my city and county races. We even have a House primary here in district 24. All of these have united to get me fired up about politics again.

I will be supporting John McCain in November as the lesser of two evils, and for those of you who feel the same way as I do, I have come up with a new slogan:

John McCain
F**K IT!
Please let me know what you think. If it is a big hit I may move on to the ordering t-shirts process. Other than that project I am also eagerly awaiting the outcome of the Legislative primaries and the preparation for the general election showdown.
As mentioned earlier on this page the Republican political director has moved on. My first question now as we get ready for the season is how will the party fill the void? It is undoubtedly a very crucial position that will advise and oversee the Republican candidates in the general campaign. Has the party been interviewing? Is someone hired? Will the job stay as a permanent position or will it morph back to it's more familiar one and done format?
I think that this position could be one of the most crucial jobs in South Dakota politics as we are facing a year when many observers feel that we could lose the State Senate and take major hits int the House. The right person could help us staunch the bleeding; the wrong, who knows?
Another dilemma (for me anyway) on the ballot this year in District 24 is Corey Landeen, Republican House primary challenger and Director of the South Dakota State Employee's Organization. He seems like a nice guy, but I just don't know if I can vote for someone who's job description includes the word lobbyist. I have to assume that he would be doing both jobs, and I don't feel like that represents my best interests. It seems like a conflict.
Anyway, enough for now. I don't want to bore the loyal reader(s) that I may have left for too long; but rest assured that I am back, and I plan to hang around for awhile.
Rusty

1 comment:

Bob Ellis said...

I can relate. I think if it weren't for the importance of the congressional races and some of the legislative ones, I'd just go on political vacation for about six months. But they, along with a couple of ballot measures, are keeping me engaged.

I like the spirit of your McCain slogan. But for those of us who for religious reasons try to stick with a little more decorum, maybe

John McCain
Might As Well

or simply state the obvious:

John McCain
Lesser of Two Evils

Welcome back to the blogosphere.